Sunday, November 30, 2008

The key is to look busy!!!

We are fortunate to live in a neighborhood full of friends. Hosting a party is no big deal, as we have an abundance of eager, sincere helpers. Let me share with you what happened last time we had a party at our house.......

That Sunday morning, my wife was busy decorating and organizing our basement with a couple of her friends. On occasions like these, I help her by staying out of her way! But like a good husband, I asked if there was something I could do, even though the Redskins game was only a few minutes away. I was banking on the fact that generally she doesn't trust me to do much.
"Well, three things" she said. "Get the soft drinks, get the tables from our neighbors and pick up some fresh flowers." I was shocked! There goes the Redskins game.
"Sure, honey." I even managed to smile. Just then, the doorbell rang. One of our friendly neighbors was at the door.
"All ready for the evening? Need some help?" he asked.
"No...no..," I lied. "I just need to get the tables, flowers, soft drinks--"
"You know, you look tired. I'll get the tables, Doc Saab! I know who has them. You take care of the flowers and soft drinks."
"You sure? I hope it's no trouble..." I tried to protest (mildly), but he was already on his way. Well, that was one-third of my job done! Thank God I looked tired!
Then the doorbell rang again. Through the glass door, I could see that it was one of our other friends. I pulled out my shirt from one side and tousled my hair (what's left of it!) before opening the door.
"Man, you look busy. Anything I can do to help?" he asked.
"No...no.. It's just the flowers, and the soft drinks and the tables----"
"I'll get the flowers. You get soft drinks and the tables." He looked at me for a moment and said "Lie down or something, you look fatigued."
"I will. You sure the flowers won't be any trouble---"
"No formality, yaar. It's done."
"Thanks." Wow! Two down, one to go. Only soft drinks to get. My brain raced furiously. That one chore could be easily worked in at half-time. I could watch the game after-all!
I sneaked up to our bedroom and put the redskins game on. And the door-bell rang again! My heart jumped for a moment....Was it possible that even the soft-drinks?...... I suddenly had a brilliant idea. I grabbed a sweatshirt and wore it inside out, made sure that my undershirt showed, and rushed downstairs to open the door to another of our friends.
He stared at me for a moment. "Do you know you're wearing your sweat shirt inside out?"
"Oh really! I'm sorry. I've been so busy today---"
"You need help? Need to get something?"
"No..no.. it's just the soft drinks, and the flowers, and the tables----"
"I'll get the soft drinks. Isn't there a Redskins game today?"
"Redskins? Oh yeah...I completely forgot about that. Are you sure the soft drinks are not a problem?"
"Worry not, Bhaji. You take care of the flowers and tables."
"Thanks," I said and zipped up the stairs. After a while I called out to my wife, "You doing okay, honey?"
"Yeah," she replied, like the trooper she is. "Few things left to do. Are you sure you can handle the stuff I asked you to do?"
"Oh, anything for you, honey. I'll manage somehow." I settled deeper into the couch with my remote.......

So the next time you come to a party at our house, if I look tired, I actually will be. Because after reading this, nobody is going to help me!

.