Saturday, December 26, 2015

Be the lead character in your own life story.......

"You seem to be doing well," I said to a 55-year old lady in my office. "Your exam and lab work is all good."
"And how's my blood pressure?" she asked.
"BP is good too. You've always had borderline high readings on your previous visits," I said.
"I know why it was high before. I was always so stressed," she said.
"So you are managing to keep your stress levels down? That's great," I replied.
"Yes, I am now," she smiled. "I was trying too hard to please everybody in my life. And that saps so much of your energy."
"I imagine it would," I said. "So you don't try to please everybody now?"
"Only my very near and dear ones, Doc. I realized one thing--in my life, I have to be the main character.... I do things that I want to do now, not what I have to do. I feel so free," she said, smiling wistfully.
"It sure does," I said, returning her smile.
"Yes, Doc. Now I am the heroine in the story of my life." She looked positively radiant.
"That is such a nice line," I exclaimed.
"It is, isn't it?' she laughed. "But seriously, everybody should actually try it in real life. It is sooo liberating."

That conversation happened a few weeks ago. But it has stuck with me since then. There is so much truth in what this lady said. If the burden of societal pressures is lifted off your shoulders, one does feel liberated. Doing things you want to do, and more importantly, having the courage to stay away from what you don't want to do, makes life simple.

We often insist on making life complicated, rather than the other way around. Hang around people you connect to, and stay away from those who manipulate & use you. Be realistic, and be your own advocate. Try not to have anybody speak for you. Live your life...on YOUR own terms. Making the right choice should be a natural instinct, and not a reason to pat yourself on the back.

And always remember -- 

"Truth does not have a side...it's not wrong or right, good or bad.  It's just the Truth. Stick to it and it'll take you far in life."

.