Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Friday Fantasy Fallout!

I am feeling a little depressed since early this Saturday. Ever since I checked my Lotto ticket numbers and realized that I was not one of the winners, I felt a little let down. I missed out ....again! And I wanted to use most of the money for charity anyway (after upgrading my house, cars etc. of course!)

All my plans and dreams have sort of fizzled out, and I am getting ready to go back to work tomorrow. But I am feeling better now, since I realized that my chance of winning the lotto was infinitely small. But that didn't deter me from spending some money and start dreaming. I even convinced my wife to go get some tickets! But is it bad to dream a little in midst of our busy lives? I really don't think so, even though the chance of that particular dream coming true was 1 in 176 million! You know, the chance of being struck by lightning twice in a day is about 1 in a 100 million, and for our golfer friends, the chance of back to back hole-in-one on consecutive Par 3(s) by an amateur is about the same! 

But human nature, in general, is optimistic. Some people did win, didn't they? So why not day dream for a bit, even if the chance of making it is exquisitely small. Because one thing is sure -- if you don't buy the ticket, the chances of winning are "zero", and a 1 in 176 million chance, no matter how small, is still more than "zero" . You see, a pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them!

"Thought is the labor of intellect, daydreaming is its pleasure!" ~ Victor Hugo