Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Technology connection!

One evening last week, I switched on the TV as I entered my bedroom. And NOTHING happened! The TV didn't turn on. I tried again, but with the same results. I stepped towards the TV & receiver and fiddled with the controls. The receiver was dead! It just wouldn't turn on. I stepped back in a daze, with my mind battling the inevitable.....there would be no TV tonight!

Then my wife walked in and as a natural impulse, went straight for the remote.
"It's not working," I said.
"What is not working?" she asked, punching the remote buttons while pointing it towards the TV.
"The TV is not going to work tonight," I replied, gently prying the remote from her hands.
"What?! But why......" her voice trailed off.
"That's okay, honey. We can read or something.... " I didn't sound convincing, even to myself. No TV?!
I stumbled over a quaint step stool right next to the bed. "Who put the stool here?" I asked.
"It's been there for the last 3 months," my wife replied.
"Oh really? I never noticed it before," I muttered.
"That's a nice picture!" My wife exclaimed, pointing to our picture on the side table from a recent trip to Las Vegas. "Did you just put it there?" she asked me.
"Actually, I put it there 3 weeks ago," I said.

And in the next hour, we both discovered a lot of things in our room which had been blanked out by the TV before! Is that how much we are influenced by technology?  And in turn, dependent on it? We live on our laptops, i pods, smart-phones and i pads in our homes and offices. When we get into our cars, the vehicle practically talks to you! But in all fairness, we use technology because it's more efficient, convenient and makes life easy. But then its up to us, to stay in touch with our inner selves. Don't you think it's a good idea to be connected more to your spouse than to your smart phone? The only problem in this day & age is that we collect information much faster than wisdom.

"I like my new smart phone, my i-pad works just fine, my laptop is perfect, but God, I do miss my mind!" ~ Author unknown