Friday, September 26, 2008

The Golf experience!!

"Do you Golf?" Somebody asked me the other day. "Yes, I do." I could say that as of a few weeks ago, when I picked up a golf-club for the first time. But then I followed up with, "Do you Football? or do you Basketball?" The guy looked at me as if I was a little off-center and walked away.

But you tell me, if I can golf, why can't I basketball or football? I can go skiing, golfing..... but not basketballing or soccering or footballing? Well, we'll let the English language wizards decide this one.

Back to "golfing" now. My experience so far can be best described as interesting. Initially, my thoughts were --- "All you got to do is hit that ball with the bat.... sorry club. How hard can it be? Whack the ball, for pete's sake!" Well, as you can imagine, these thoughts perished the first day I was at the driving range. After 4 weeks of off & on practicing, I feel blessed every time my club makes contact with the ball!

I have great golfing friends, all with good intentions. So I've had a barrage of suggestions and tips. Most of those have helped me. "You lifted your head" is the standard line for me when I make a bad shot, and I do that more often than I make good ones! They are worried about the distance and direction of their shots. I just want to hit the ball, it doesn't matter where it goes, as long as it lands more than 10 feet away!

So my journey into the mysterious depths of golf is just beginning, and I have a long way to go. I have teachers with good intentions all around me, so I think I'll make rapid progress. Hopefully, one day, I too will be more worried about the distance and direction of the shot than mere contact.

And I hope I'm always more focused on my own game, than of those around me. So here's my golf-anthem----

PLAY RELAXED & PLAY FOR FUN,
AND WHEN THINGS DON'T GO YOUR WAY,
BLAME YOURSELF & NOT SOMEONE!

Stay tuned for future updates on my game!!

.