Sunday, September 27, 2015

Making memory banks......

"So how's the family?" I asked a gentleman, while I examined him in my office.
"Good, doc," he replied. "Real good. My son is doing very well. He's making a lot of money."
"That's always a relief, isn't it?" I said, "When your kids are doing well and settled down."
"It is," he said. "But you know what I tell my son? I tell him that he might make more money than me, but I'll always be ahead in one category."
"And what's that?" I asked.
"Memories, doc. Memories...I was 35 when he was born, so I got a head start. He'll never be able to catch up in my lifetime," he smiled.

And he was right. We make all sorts of memories as we traverse life. So that set me thinking. When I am in my golden years, what am I most likely to dwell on? My bank balance? The kind of car I have parked in my garage? Or will I ponder fondly upon the good times I had with my family and friends in the past years? I have a strong suspicion its going to be the latter!

There is a tendency in most of us to remember moments, not days or events. These are the moments we want to hang on to, to warm our hearts on a cold wintry day. As a wise man once said -- 


"Good days should be gathered like grapes, to be revisited & walked upon, bottled into wine and kept for a later time, to sip at ease besides the fireplace."

Each day we make deposits in the memory banks of our children, our family and friends. There will come a day when these folks will draw on those deposits. So be careful of what you are depositing in those banks today!


"The best thing about memories?......is making them!"

.